Gt6 mk3 coil

euan douglas

Sorry to resurrect an old topic which I've been trying to pick my way through on old posts, but---

My mk3 coil has only two wires going to it so am I right to assume it is a 12v coil and if so, then has the ballast wire been done away with on the car at some time in the past?  It has a Lucas coil fitted, DLB102, so I guess the way to find out is to measure the resistance across the +ve and -ve terminals?

Does anyone know if the DLB102 coil is a 12v?  The car goes fine by the way.  All thoughts welcomed!

Euan

DLB102 is a ballasted 6v coil,, if you have a meter

6v are 1.5 ohms primery 12v are 3 ohms primery

the balast system can be a ceramic resistor on the baulkhead or a built in wire

this is white and pink trace, there is also supposed to be a white yellow from the starter side of the solenoid

if yours has been changed to 12v then the 1.5ohm coil will produce excessive HT blows rotows and caps

and as this doubles the current at the points you burn conacts and blow condensers

You must have the points closed when checking the coil voltage if they are open you will measure battery voltage and have a bum steer.

Once you are sure its not balasted you need a DLB101 std 12v coil

pete

Thanks for that Pete. 

I've had no issues with rotors, condensors etc so I guess there must be a ballast resistor somewhere.  I'm not sure what to look for on the bulkhead if that's where it is, what does it look like?  And there is no white and pink wire that I can see but it's fairly grubby in there so I'd better do a bit of cleaning!  Does the white/pink wire go to the coil?

Euan

The white pink Goes from ign switch to the coil -neg on some its got a short white pigtail off the switch with a conector

I would expect the coil to get too hot if you run 6v on 12v

the balast if thats fitted is a ceramic block about 18mm square and 40mm long ( thats a guess)

It will be near the coil on the baulkhead.

you really need to get a cheap meter and check whats feeding the coil in its running condition

pete

• 3 weeks later...

Just to bring the topic up to date  -  I decided to fit electronic ignition (well I got it fitted) and in so doing bypassed the ballast wire, if it hadn't been bypassed already.  I got a new 12v coil and so am now running entirely on a 12v system, so much simpler I think and removes any confusion about what was there and what wasn't.

Just out of curiosity, the old coil, which I thought was a Lucas DLB102 6v, I see has "09-202" and "12 volt ballast" stamped on it.  Does this mean it is a ballast 6v coil or what - not that it matters really, just curious.  The place I got it done seemed to think it was running a ballast system but that it did not have the second wire running to the coil so not wired up correctly (they are pretty good by the way) so maybe already bypassed?

All thoughts welcome for my peace of mind!

Euan