Overdrive clicks in in 4th but not 3rd

Red Devil

As it says really, my overdrive kicks in whilst driving in 4th but not 3rd. I can hear the relay working equally with the engine off in 4th but not 3rd so I'm guessing it is electrical. I can't quite figure out which is the relay as I have 3 of them (or at least 3 electrical connector boxes) very close together and I'm not sure how I test it. One is the hazard relay and I know which that is but both the other two each have around 5 wires coming from them and I'm sure one is related to the overdrive as I can hear it. My neighbour would probably help me as he is good with car electrics but he is on holiday and I'm determined to learn how to do some things myself. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated so I can have a try.

I think it is a D type overdrive as the solenoid is on the drivers side in a RHD Gt6. The overdrive lever is also on the steering column not the gearstick.

Thanks

Steve

This sounds like the inhibitor switch mointer on a bracket in front of the remote needs a small adjustment

if you load the gear lever to the side you may find tye relay will click, if yes then adjust the shims under the switch but its a tunnel off job

most OD relays are mounted on the baulkhead near the coil area

Pete, my word you must be waiting to reply almost as quickly as I can ask the questions! Really appreciate this.

So, I've just pulled the overdrive lever to the on position and then pulled the gear stick further across to the right and you are correct the relay then works/operates. I'm not yet sure what this means I need to alter but presume there is a connection under the gear stick somewhere.

I do have the tunnel off at present so anything else I should be doing whilst this is so please let me know and thanks for your comment on my other post about the through bolt being the wrong way around, that may explain why 3rd to 4th isn't as easy as I thought it may be!

Thanks

Steve

in the front of the remote hsg is a protuding end of the rempte shaft, this has a simple cam on it, next to this on a bracket is the switch which is simple plunger depressed by the remote shaft cam.

setting to get enough travel set by a card shim washer between switch and bracket,    needs a washer taking out,, or !!! bend the bracket a little

as tunnel is off I would check the solenoid travel setting 

take of   the square cover plate   operate the OD the short lever inside will pull towards the sol.   in the lever is a drilled hole ,, stick a 3/16drill thro the hole it must align witha similar setting hole in the casing behind the lever,   adjustment is done by the nut on the sol shaft. do not adjust the wired stop nut in the case .

the lever only moves a small amount , to work the OD valves .

Pete