Vitesse Leaking fuel tank

Robin

Hi Robin

I am a long way north of you here in Liverpool, and the company I used was D&T Radiators, Regent Road, L3, in Liverpool's docklands, who were discovered by Stuart Rimmer, one of our regulars at Triumph Liverpool meetings. A little, old fashioned workshop who give good service and know what they are about.

To return to your problem, Pete (as so often) is dead right. You cannot mix and match senders and gauges, and this is exactly why I ended up removing a perfectly good Vitesse tank, which I had sand blasted, cleaned out and sealed, before painting it in nice shiny black and fitting a new instruction transfer! When I found out the hard way that its locking ring type sender would not operate my lovely original Jaeger speedo, I had to consign it to the loft, and go to Spitfire Graveyard over in Sheffield to get the correct six hole tank and sender, and have it repaired as described earlier. In short, costly lesson learned at the University of Sod...

The six hole tanks are not that easy to find, so if you have a sound one, it has a value to somebody. If I lived nearer I would suggest a swap.

Good luck in sorting it, you will get there!

Regards

Steve C

Hi Robin

I am a long way north of you here in Liverpool, and the company I used was D&T Radiators, Regent Road, L3, in Liverpool's docklands, who were discovered by Stuart Rimmer, one of our regulars at Triumph Liverpool meetings. A little, old fashioned workshop who give good service and know what they are about.

To return to your problem, Pete (as so often) is dead right. You cannot mix and match senders and gauges, and this is exactly why I ended up removing a perfectly good Vitesse tank, which I had sand blasted, cleaned out and sealed, before painting it in nice shiny black and fitting a new instruction transfer! When I found out the hard way that its locking ring type sender would not operate my lovely original Jaeger speedo, I had to consign it to the loft, and go to Spitfire Graveyard over in Sheffield to get the correct six hole tank and sender, and have it repaired as described earlier. In short, costly lesson learned at the University of Sod...

The six hole tanks are not that easy to find, so if you have a sound one, it has a value to somebody. If I lived nearer I would suggest a swap.

Good luck in sorting it, you will get there!

Regards

Steve C

Hi Steve

Yep - learning the hard way is getting to be expensive. If I could arrange collection would you be willing to sell your loft bound tank?

Cheers

Robin

Robin ,  there's a old moral   ...ask first    someone somewhere   has always managed to get a Tee shirt the hard way 

we've all been there as we accumulate experience's  

classics and twiddling can  be a costly hobby when the plan goes bottoms up  Ha !

happy days  Pete

Robin ,  there's a old moral   ...ask first    someone somewhere   has always managed to get a Tee shirt the hard way 

we've all been there as we accumulate experience's  

classics and twiddling can  be a costly hobby when the plan goes bottoms up  Ha !

happy days  Pete

Hi Pete

Yep - think I should have learnt by now. Problem was that I was travelling back down from Scotland and had spoken to Mick Dolphin in Leicester so it was convenient to pick it up on my way through. Didn't even occur to me that the sender unit might be different - but I do now!

Robin

excellent guy Mick  Dolphin for good/new  old stock

would he take it back ??

had the reverse problem with a new tank from Fitchetts needed 6 hole, got bayonet  and new sender ,

certainly they dont work the old moving iron gauges  so scratch head and hence i know you can make the 6 hole fit by trimming it 

to fit in the bayonet rim.

solution is you now need to buy an older model 1600 to be able to use the tank   ....More Ha!!!

Pete

Hi Robin

What condition is your 6-hole tank in, and is it complete with sender? I could do with a correct spare for my car, so if we can arrange either a straight swap, or a swap with a cash adjustment either way, I am open to that. The Vitesse tank I have has been in my car on the road, so I know it is a good one.

Perhaps take this forward off the board via PMs from now, to avoid cluttering up other seekers after truth?

Regards

Steve C