Cant get 4th gear - Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

Recently had recon diff , shortened balanced prop new ujs , recon overdrive & gearbox fitted ( The vitesse had a standard box before ) 

Just doing short trips and today at 60 mph the overdrive jumped out and wouldn't work again. This was followed by noises from the prop area as if the UJ bolts were coming loose or the prop catching on the body tunnel - this noise was not all the time only when the engine was under more stress .

Travelling home I couldnt get 4th gear at all as if the gate was shut - so came back in third and guess what the overdrive worked - The work has been professionally done with warranty and is going in next week , Travelling home there was no further  noise from the transmission area 

The only thing i have done is to wire in an overdrive warning light - 

What could be going on and is there any thing I can check in the meantime - I have removed the gearbox cover and all UJ bolts are tight and there is nothing loose / hanging off that I could see 

Thanks in advance 

Paul 

no 4th could be the bolt under the gear stick spherical is wrong way round and fouls on the remote casting

or a major rebuild problem ,

the od jumping could be poor inhibitor switch adjustment , low oil  or again rebuild problems 

if shes going back let us know what happened if they tell you

the prop bolts can get foulded by the setcrews holding the diff front support plate on they are special wedgeloc bolts if these come out 

you get some awfull noises followed by a lock up....dont ask how i know !  

Pete

• Like 1