Brake Shim fitting

StevieB

I have read in a number of places about there being a marking for the direction of rotation for the brake shims to be fitted to my GT6 MK3. I have some brand new ones to fit, which I bought from the owners club. They look to be completely flat, unmarked and symmetrical. I cannot see anything to say which way round they should be fitted, apart from the obvious holes where the retaining pins go. Which means the only possiblity is that one face is supposed to go against the pad, and the other against the piston. But as I say both sides look identical!.

I am probably, no definitely a bit ignorant here, as I have never done this before. So, the only thing I can think of is that this might apply when changing the pads and keeping the old shims. In which case do I need to add my own mark to the shim when fitting.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

generally there is a segment cut out in the shim to give a the piston a  leading edge and stop squeal 

there is the dia to suit the piston and the cut out should face the  oncoming direction of rotation  so as to give a little relief to the piston contact.

if you have plastic pads then they fit anyway to suit the backing shape.

onsteel shims add a smear of copa slip on the backing piston face  to prevent sticking and helps squeal ,

pete

Thanks Pete for your answer. There is nothing to indicate a right and wrong way at all on the shims, so I guess I just fit them (well I have now, but not final fit. 

I note your point about Copper Slip, I think I will do that tomorrow when I finish the job off.

Ta

Steve

Pete, thanks again for your help.

Pictures of the shim (both sides of the same shim) are here;

http://tssc.invisionzone.com/uploads/gallery/album_11/tn_gallery_107_11_81908.jpg

http://tssc.invisionzone.com/uploads/gallery/album_11/tn_gallery_107_11_127639.jpg

I bought them from the Club Shop, so I kind of expect them to be right. Not only that, they look the same as the ones I took out, nothing obvious, at least not to my eye.

Steve

Images look a bit small when you click on the link, but I think they will be clear enough.

to me that style of shim is to reduce the friction and shuffle between pad and piston contact it would fit either way round, as it has no 

cut out to create a sort of 'lead in' edge to the piston  

if you ring the shop Garth may have the answers,  

if you look at the piston contact face this may have a r machined relief  area to replicate a cut away shim if so the relieve  should be facing the oncoming 

disc rotation.  so there is a slight loss of pressure on the leading  face of the pads ,  these pistons can rotate in use aand the cut out ends up anywhere

and good old triumph workshop manual shows diddly squat on the parts in question

Pete

Per chance I was heading into the owners club today, and asked Garth this very question.

The answer is simply that the shims for the Type 16 Calipers are just as I have. Simple steel shims, and there is no right or wrong way to fit them.

Thanks again for your advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, finally, finally got the GT6 MOT'd today,and she sailed through. No advisories or any comments at all. 

Thanks to everyone who helped with y various brake related questions. The new pads (Mintex) work a treat, and are noticeably a lot better than the old ones. Pedal was a little soft, so I bled them again, now it feels a lot better. Not rock hard, but way better than on my wife's Panda!

Thanks again