Gt6 (mk2) rear hatch drain holes

Red Devil

I attended a small local show at the weekend which was made smaller by the horrendous weather albeit each car attending got a free jet wash as a result of doing so!

Anyway, it was the first time since I've owned the car that it has been out in such conditions and I was really pleased to find it nice and dry inside. The only thing I noticed this morning as I lifted the rear hatch is that there is a small hole in the top where water ran out. Not a major issue but I couldn't help but think the drainage holes should surely be in the bottom otherwise it will trap water in the bottom of the hatch. Does that seem logical or am I misunderstanding something, I presume it would be a case of drilling a couple of holes as appropriate.

It is a very good idea to fit drain tubes in each corner of the tailgate aperture and that's what I've done as has I believe Alan C. In my case I machined up a couple of fittings and welded them into the corners. These terminate in 7mm stubs onto which I've connected some plastic tube which exits through the boot floor. Actually there is a worse water trap on MK3 GT6s and MK4 Spitfires in the corners of the windscreen frame. Water sits there undetected slowly eating away at the metal. Fortunately having the earlier screen I don't have that problem. Here's a picture of the drain in the tailgate aperture. I hope this helps.gallery_67_25_30895.jpg

Thanks John, I think I sort of follow what you are saying, if you could take a wider view picture that would be great. I wasn't actually talking about the aperture in my original post but the tailgate itself. Thinking logically I've actually no idea why there is a hole in the top as surely water can only get in through it and then not escape. Maybe I'll try to dry out as best I can wax inside and then put a rubber hung in the hole. Wish I'd taken some pictures myself now so will try to do this when I get home.

Steve

Steve,

I had the same thoughts as you and put wax in my first GT6 tailgate, however on hot days when closed it ran out and the car stunk for months, also the support spring could not cope with the extra weight, so I would just be careful.