any tips on flushing the block

daverclasper

Hi

Going to change the anti freeze on Vitesse soon.

I have already undone the block drain plug a bit  and coolant was flowing out, so that's not blocked.

It runs about 1/4 (winter) to 1/3 (summer) on the gauge when cruising.

On a very very hot day when idling in traffic jams/slow moving, it moves to about 2/3 on the gauge.

Wondering if worth putting some vinegar in system for a few runs before flushing.

Also any tips on flushing/back flushing would be great please.

Cheers, Dave

Sounds l like fine cooling to me!

If it ain't broke ....

But sticking a garden hose end in the rad hose and back flushing that may be worthwhile, and the other way around into the block.

The usual connectors for garden hose fit inside the rad hose.

John

• Like 1

Whilst I agree sounds pretty good cooling if you really want to make a difference you try the little trick I did.

Remove radiator from car.

Second hand pump from dishwasher plumbed into washing up bowl.

Make up hot sulphamic acid (commercial descaler) in the bowl and circulate through the radiator.

On mine the water ran clear with the normal hose flush in situ but the photo shows what came out when recirculated as shown. Continuous flushing and reflushing got it clear eventually. The difference compared to the old hose trick was like night and day.

I know its not the block asked about, but the principal is the same. Only thing is sulphamic is corrosive, so dont leave it in for days and make sure its well flushed out afterwards.

Mike

post-156-0-34680100-1470159580_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I tested the water temp in the top of rad when the dash gauge was showing the higher reading. It was 100 degrees, so not too high I guess.

Haven't got time to even take rad off to try thorough methods.

Is there some danger in using vinegar (I was thinking 1.5 litres) in a running system. eg larger particles that free up and might block waterways.

Also the acid dissolving weaker places in system and causing leaks.

Cheers, Dave  

Whenever you are worried about materials compatability http://www.coleparmer.co.uk/Chemical-Resistance is a really good source of info. In this case 20% acetic is the nearest to vinegar - although vinegar is more like 5%. So select that and hit go. It returns the compatability of all the materials in its database. What shows up straight away is severe effect with cast iron .... So maybe not such a good idea on the block. As contact is short lived I wouldn't worry about minor impacts, but "severe effect" would be a step too far for me.

Mike