Installing Spitfire Door Handles

Andrew Palmer

I've just installed two shiny new door handles and all is fine ... except that the link assembly which connects the lock barrel to the lever on the rear of the door lock mechanism is presenting some problems. The Moss Europe website shows the link - see the attached pic.

First off, it’s virtually impossible to attach the split pin correctly – you have to open it up to fit around the lever, but then it’s very difficult to get it through the two holes in the link assembly’s bracket. This is so hard to do, I wonder if the Moss diagram is incorrect.

That said, I used a Dremel to enlarge the eye of the split pin, so I could insert it into the bendy link bracket first and then slide it onto the lever.  This worked quite well – but with the link connected in this way, the door handle would no longer work because the position of the lock lever is a few millimetres too high, making the link assembly push the handle mechanism into a position where it will no longer un-latch the latch.

I could make the thing work by fabricating a bit of metal to replace the bracket-and-split-pin arrangement, but I’d rather find out why it’s been designed in this weird way, and get it to work as intended!

Does anyone have any advice? Many thanks.

post-935-0-62480900-1470605959_thumb.png

the whole set up would seem to have been designed by someone with dark sense of humour  the entire linkage, springs bits of plastic connectors more springs more cranks, pins and bits hidden behind the carcass means you are not on your own , but dont know what to suggest ....and get some extra stick plasters 

Pete

Andrew

I went through the same exercise last year and although a bit fiddly (especially as I've got big hands !!) I had no problems, all went together and locks etc work well.

Unfortunately I can't remember any particular sequence of install but I would have followed the info in the "Repair Operation Manual".

Think you just need to persevere !!!

best of luck

bob