NEC Classic Car Show

NeilF

Just booked tickets for the show using the Club discount code. The advert in the Courier states Single: £18.00* Look further down in the small print * and it says maximum tickets per member is 4, OK, and then 'All bookings are subject to a single transaction fee of £1.50. Perhaps someone can explain to me from this why the ticket price charged is £19.50 and then there is a single transaction fee of £1.50 added on. Total cost for 4 tickets £79.50.

Either my understanding of English is not good, or this seems to be totally incorrect. Does anyone else concur.

NeilF  

Hello Neil.

I agree - my understanding is that you should have been charged £73.50 max; which is 4x tickets @ £18 + a single h/c @ £1.50

Over the years I have heard more & more negative reports about this show; I have been once and that was enough for me. I think you really need to stand back and have a good look at this show and it soon dawns on you that it's actually more "glitz than grit"; it's a bit like the Emperor's New Clothes.

Is it REALLY worth all that money to attend, I do not think it is. The traders get absolutely hammered and speaking to a couple at the recent Restoration Show at Stonleigh Park, it's their last year - they get zilch from the venue and everything they need is another hand in the pocket.

Big shows like this really have lost their direction, it has become a massive commercial and corporate exercise. I think the "organisers" if you can actually call them that see it as a superb way to fleece every living soul that crosses the NEC threshold; be it visitor or trader.

So long as one keeps feeding the beast, it continues to survive - year after year.

All the best and get that overcharged £6 back from the blighters.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Neil.

I agree - my understanding is that you should have been charged £73.50 max; which is 4x tickets @ £18 + a single h/c @ £1.50

Over the years I have heard more & more negative reports about this show; I have been once and that was enough for me. I think you really need to stand back and have a good look at this show and it soon dawns on you that it's actually more "glitz than grit"; it's a bit like the Emperor's New Clothes.

Is it REALLY worth all that money to attend, I do not think it is. The traders get absolutely hammered and speaking to a couple at the recent Restoration Show at Stonleigh Park, it's their last year - they get zilch from the venue and everything they need is another hand in the pocket.

Big shows like this really have lost their direction, it has become a massive commercial and corporate exercise. I think the "organisers" if you can actually call them that see it as a superb way to fleece every living soul that crosses the NEC threshold; be it visitor or trader.

So long as one keeps feeding the beast, it continues to survive - year after year.

All the best and get that overcharged £6 back from the blighters.

Regards.

Richard.

In total agreement, was considering going myself till I added up all the costs :o

And the Car Parking charge is another RIP OFF!!!

http://www.thenec.co.uk/visitors/parking/

its £20 express booking   all others ideas seem  fixed at £12 per day 

not knocking anything but thats great if you love it , expensive if its just for a browse day  

and food is such good value also !!!  all needs to be added to the bottom line , does reflect

into deep pocket mode for many of us  ...shame 

Pete

This is a trip for 8 TSSC members. Hiring a minibus, a round trip of 340 miles. It is expensive, but hopefully the camaradie will shine through. I guess it is also supporting the TSSC and their stand. Will it be worth it? I will let you know.

NeilF

ive worked on  the stand its a good show theres lots to much to see you should have a good day  just pricey for some with little savings if you buy anything but a wonderous collection of cars and must haves 

it  also costs the club a fortune for  presence there with electric and carpets they have to fund.

Pete

Having been, and vented my spleen previously on this forum about the traffic issues just getting in and out of the damn place, I would seriously question whether the club should spend money on it. I will probably stir up a hornet's nest, but if they are charging us a lot I would question the cost : benefit analysis in these difficult times of that one.

On a broader question, I do sometimes wonder if the whole classic scene has not lost its way a little bit, with big shows in expensive venues that charge punters a lot to come in (I speak of the larger outdoor shows too..) and actually provide very little in the way of investment back in the owners of the vehicles who make the whole thing possible. I am getting increasingly peed off with going to big shows where the organisers won't even put some bark chippings down in muddy areas, where the catering is an absolute rip-off and where the toilets would redefine the term "disgusting". I have attended two such big events up here this year, and neither will be on my list for next year.

I am now increasingly favouring small, low-key events, organised by my local multi-marque club (North West Casual Classics), where we raise money for charity, and have a good time doing it. At smaller events the rip-off merchants and carpetbaggers selling non-car related cr*p stay away, and the facilities don't get overwhelmed.

Last time I was down at club HQ I did muse on the thought driving home, that you could go back to basics and have a pretty good event with a couple of marquees on one of the fields around Lubenham village, centred on club HQ and the pub, and have an enjoyable event for a lot less than hiring space at a racetrack or showground. Just a thought.

Regards

Steve

Sorry about the drift but ....

Steve sounds like you need to pencil in a visit next year to our Duxford classic

no mud

hardstanding

very cheap grub

only your club shop to caress your money

a humongous collection of aircraft and military guns tanks and trucks

it will be around £13

cheap trophy prizes

Super raffle

smiles all round

free parking included

no date fixed yet

pete

Steve.

Superbly pitched - well done. I absolutely agree with all those comments.

I'm the Events Co-ordinator for Southern Classics Society (www.southernclassics.org.uk) probably being the largest multi marque club in Southern England now and goes from strength to strength each year. All our events are traditional, low key, informal, very friendly and attract people from far & wide - it is these sort of events that classic car enthuasiats and not just owners are seeking out more and more.

I believe owners and enthusiasts want to conclude their "day out" on a high and not have that feeling of being fleeced and know that what they have purchased at these events has been sold at a realistic price. Not too much too ask, but very rarely encountered. 

Great idea for an event at Lubenham and would certainly have my support and attendance. The village would benefit and I think would attract a large number of TSSC members.

All the best.

Richard.

Steve,

You might like to know that the Locks Heath Classic Car Club formed 4 years ago had a tunout of 90 classics at our August meet, and just over 100 at our September meet. Locks Heath is halfway between Portsmouth and Southampton and we meet just for a couple of hours on the 2nd Thursday of each month at the Strawberry Fields in Locks Heath Centre. Great for a chatter and noggin.

NeilF

Hello Neil.

And I reckon throughly enjoyed by all who attend and probably get more from that meeting than a massive corporate event.

The smaller shows and gatherings have my support all the time. The smaller events really do embrace the camaraderie that is found so lacking at super size car shows; yes you can view a lot of nice cars, but I think the key point and enjoyment of the smaller events is being able to converse at a more relaxed and informal level with owners about pride of ownership and the real grass roots of classic vehicle enthusiasm.

All the best.

Richard.