Fuel Tank - Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

Fuel tank going back - just waiting for the Frost kit for lining the tank to cure - The sender is the bayonet type - the rubber gasket is ok ish, Can I use gasket sealant ? if so which one is suggested . Are new gaskets available and are they any good

Regards

Paul  

Hello Paul.

New rubber gaskets are available via Rimmers ARA1502 and cost just under a quid plus postage. There may be other outlets.

You should not need any gasket sealant as the retaining clip when knocked in to position places the rubber seal firmly on the tank.

Additionally, petrol and its fume has a negative effect on gasket sealant and the majority of products say that.

Purchasing a new seal is a good move as the original will have compressed over the years and the securing ring will not be able to place as much pressure on the seal.

Ensure the surfaces are spotless and you will have an airtight fitment.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

New rubber gaskets are available via Rimmers ARA1502 and cost just under a quid plus postage. There may be other outlets.

You should not need any gasket sealant as the retaining clip when knocked in to position places the rubber seal firmly on the tank.

Additionally, petrol and its fume has a negative effect on gasket sealant and the majority of products say that.

Purchasing a new seal is a good move as the original will have compressed over the years and the securing ring will not be able to place as much pressure on the seal.

Ensure the surfaces are spotless and you will have an airtight fitment.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard - thanks for info & advice - Just emailed Canleys as couldnt find the gasket on their site - They do sell them so placed an order 

Best regards 

Paul 

Paul - ditto, I could not see it on the Canleys site - hence the Rimmers referal.

Steve - which particular Hylomar as there are different types and colour references ??

Regards.

Richard.

Paul - ditto, I could not see it on the Canleys site - hence the Rimmers referal.

Steve - which particular Hylomar as there are different types and colour references ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard - Canleys was close to  half the price of Rimmers

Paul 

Thanks Aiden for stepping in - sorry Richard, the day job got in the way!

I would not be without Hylomar blue. (It was developed by Rolls apparently...) I think some of the tanks out there may have started out with flat and true flanges, but over the years screws have been over-tightened, or leverage has been exerted on them to free off old gaskets and senders, so that you end up with some that are out of whack, where the gasket does not quite do it (although the current ribbed pink Rimmer's item is quite squidgy). A bead of Hylo does the trick.

Regards

Steve