CDSE150 Carbs - Float Chamber Query

Qu1ckn1ck

I have just bought a bought a very cheap pair of GT6 Mk3 carbs with the intention of refurbishing them.  They were bought knowing that the dampers and suction chamber screws were missing, but these are easy to replace.

The carbs seem generally in good order but I notice that the float chamber castings do not match and their is a screw missing from one, so possibly a "bitza" made up of miscellaneous parts.  Is the mismatched float chamber likely to cause any problems ?

I have yet to decide whether to refurb myself or to entrust the job to the Carburetter Exchange in Leighton Buzzard.  Has anyone any views, please ? 

Photo attached.

Nick

post-1959-0-41759700-1482067469_thumb.jpg

I use 3/16"unf  on any repair these are  hex  headed set screws , they dont suffer slot damage from years of over tightening ,

may be wrong (hopefully) but i was told they had closed down    ring them before you make a visit 

if Im out that way I will have a visit as Ive used them from many years 

there is a array of float chamber designs with small changes to perimiter contours , hence wide ragne of gaskets in mny kits to cover all.. the wrong gasket can leave corners open to leaking.

Pete

• Like 1

there is a array of float chamber designs with small changes to perimiter contours , hence wide ragne of gaskets in mny kits to cover all.. the wrong gasket can leave corners open to leaking.

Pete

Hi Pete

Are the various float chambers universal fit on all Stromberg CD carbs ?   Would these fit without problems on my top adjusting CDSE150 pair ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332049672563?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks

Nick

Cant say , its the gasket rim that changes its shape contour over the years of evolution the float base and main case must match

The jet /plug bore and screw holes are all the same

the jet bungs on those look odd, even a bottom adjuster chamber will be the same jet hole to take the jet holder or the plug ,for the top adjuster

but as for will it fit yes , will it align with the gasket shape I dont know without trying it out

Just dont have any detail to prove which is which only the experiences of multiple gasket shapes and wheres that leak coming from observations.