Shock absorbers ??

Found a pair of shock absorbers I forgot I had, bought many years ago at a show. Hand written Vitesse, Herald, GT6 spitfire front, I now check the contents of boxes when at shows.

Box Monroe Safe-Master with made in Belgium on it.

Shock absorbers have paper label Motocraft Auto-Flex and are stamped made in England. Aluminium locking rings for bottom spring mount have Woodhead Mfg. Co. cast on them.

Both shock absorbers are stamped 206262 F06310X 1D28 and seem to be the right size for above stated use.

Does any one have old reference books to tell me if they are correct.

Many thanks

Regards

Paul

post-227-0-40908700-1483288273_thumb.jpg

Hello Paul.

The key number on this code is F06310X.

If you look at this link it will show the x-ref via the OEM drop box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONROE-Shock-absorber-sold-individually-TRIUMPH-GT6-SPITFIRE-VITESSE-R3300-/311464001537

I did try various code configurations via the Monroe website, but as one would expect - No Trace.

Difficult to know what the working status of these units will be under driving conditions; but always nice to have in the garage as a memento of years past - which I do with old bits for garage decorations !! Must get out more !! 

I hope this assists ??

Happy New Year.

Best wishes.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

Monroe are now under the Tenneco umbrella - a USA based company.

Have a look at the attached link regarding Monroe, very detailed for a company website - in particular their Press releases.

http://www.monroe.com/en-uk/press/tenneco-celebrates-100-years-monroe-highlights-latest-technologies-automechanika/

I am no fan of Monroe and if you look through the Forum you will note a less than favourable view. The main point of contention is build quality compared to many of the better items out there (GAZ for me) but of course it's "horses for courses" and driving requirements that dictate choice in a lot of cases. 

Regards.

Richard.

Yes, I agree with that Clive - much has changed over the years with Monroe and the black units are certainly worth steering clear of; hence the negative reporting of the years.

Regards.

Richard.

Paul.

You have nothing to lose IMHO and if it does not work out then nothing lost - other than just a bit of time.

I'm sure you will be aware that you need to prime the shocks before using, especially as they have been laying around for some years and probably on their sides.

This is nothing more than keeping the struts upright and compressing & releasing a number of times before fitting; it assists getting the struts back in to an active state.

Good luck.

Richard.