LEAF SPRING REFURB - Vitesse Mk2

Hello.

Having stripped out the rear drive etc. for the CV conversion, I thought I would remove the transverse leaf spring to inspect and perhaps overhaul.

The spring as you can see from the photos is in decent enough condition; with probably a couple of minor bits of work required such as replacing the gap sleeve with a stainless steel sleeve and a new nut & bolt for the retaining clip. 

My intention at the moment is to separate all the blades, clean-up and re-lube.

The bushes are good so I am happy with those unless anyone suggests otherwise.

My real concern is the somewhat significant bracing clip towards each spring eye; which is about 7mm - 8mm thick, that's a fair bit of metal to knock back and forth which will be required to separate all the blades.

I would be interested if anybody has done this overhaul before and what advice they may have.

The photos support the above.

Many thanks.

Richard. 

post-818-0-79646400-1496334362_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-95948500-1496334382_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-83204100-1496334404_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-45764700-1496334435_thumb.jpg

if i remember from doing mine years back once the inner clamp bolts and the centre bolt are out the way the leaves will slide out of the clenched outer clips , no need to open them or whatever , just give the leaves a whack and they slide though

Hmmm if only ......boing said zebedee   time for bed 

Thanks Pete, that will be very useful if that is the case - of course I will not quote you on that :)  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards.

Richard.

Did this on my MK1 over the winter while changing to poly bushes, all my clips had bolts so must be different supplier. Changed the spring pads to poly and used a dry lubricant on the leaves, straightforward job apart from keeping the new pads in place on assembly.

Regards

Paul

I Refurbished my Rotoflex Spring a few years ago and did open up slightly the thick 'U' Clamp using my Vice to allow easier dismantling?

The rotoflex spring is different to the earlier springs with regards to the outer clamps, this is different (Shallower profile) so the Rotoflex coupling doesn't catch.

Its worth replacing the rubber buttons between the leaves too, 4 per side I think and only 20 pence each from Canleys. 

I lubricated in between the leafs with a combination of Graphite paste and Dinitrol 3125 Rustproofing fluid.

It was well worth the effort the car seeming to ride more smoothly afterwards :)

PS - If you look in my Gallery pictures you will see some photos?

Hello Gary.

Many thanks for that and highlighting the gallery - very useful indeed.

Looking at the finished spring via your photos, did you then paint it or is the gloss like finish from the Dinitrol coating ?? 

Regards.

Richard.

Richard

Each leaf was cleaned down with a rotary wire brush in my Angle Grinder then given a couple of coats of primer and another 3 or 4 coats of Gloss Black aerosol paint.

I coated each leaf were it adjoins the next with a mixture of Graphogen Engine Assembly paste and Dinitrol 3125 fluid mixed in a jam jar and applied with a small paint brush.

After reassembly, I think I gave the spring a clean down with a Cloth and a bit of White Spirit then applied another final coat of Gloss aerosol.

I'd had problems in the past with a new reproduction spring (Made in India I believe) sagging with 4 people in the car :o 

So I managed to get a good condition Original spring and refurbished it, this was fitted in conjunction with Koni telescopic dampers (That's another story getting the correct ones that fit and are the correct length open and closed!)

Cheers 

Gary

Thanks Gary.

I'm happy I have an original spring, hence I want to refurb it - so with your advice it looks "job on" !!

I think Paul's spring is probably different as it's for a Mk1.

Regards.

Richard.