Radiator and Oil Cooler

Dave C

I have a GT6 Mk3, with an oil cooler mounted horizontally in front of the radiator. The oil cooler was already fitted to the car when I got it.

The oil cooler hose unions are on the top of the cooler.

I am about to have the radiator re-cored and whilst I'm at it I want to reposition the oil cooler so that it doesn't obstruct air flow to the radiator.

I have seen others solve this issue by mounting the oil cooler vertically alongside the radiator.

My oil cooler is 330mm long including the brackets, so it seems too long to mount vertically.

So (without starting an argument about the pros and cons of oil coolers) my options seem to be to mount the existing cooler in some other way or to buy a smaller oil cooler which I can mount vertically.

Can anyone offer any advice regarding:

1. How and where I might reposition my existing oil cooler?

2. Which makes/models of oil cooler are a good fit vertically alongside the radiator?

3. The best method to mount the oil cooler vertically?

Thanks,

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks. I've hopefully worked out a way of mounting it vertical (or near vertical).

If anyone is interested I'm having the recore done by A1 Radiators, Banbury. They've quoted me £180 inc VAT.

Aaron Radiators quoted £240 inc VAT and Harts Radiators quoted £250 inc VAT.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok everyone;

Horizontal or vertical?

I've worked out I could keep it horizontal but move it lower, behind the bumper effectively. 

If I keep it horizontal it will restrict airflow to the radiator (and to the oil cooler if I move it lower), which is were my concerns started following a minor overheating embarrassment at Triumfest.

If I mount it vertically the draining mentioned above may be an issue......

Opinions?

If it's a thermostatically controlled oil cooler then the thermostat will be closed and it won't drain overnight.

If it's not thermostaticallay controlled then consider chnaging it to add a thermostat as without one it will tend to stop the oil reaching operating temerature which is hust as bad as it getting too hot.

• 3 months later...

Dave

I've mounted my oil cooler vertically on the RHS of the radiator. I made up a bracket that bolted onto the foot of the radiator and a frame that secured the top of the oil cooler. The frame also includes a diagonal brace that provides two of the three mounting points for the electric fan. When I get back home I'll post a photo of the setup.

Cheers

Alan

Well I'm back home now and as promised here's a few images of my setup:-

IMG_0740.jpg

This shows the cross brace which allows the mounting of the electric radiator fan-an ex Vauxhall item. The sensor on the top of the radiator switches the fan from low to high speed-which in reality is never required in normal driving, even in town traffic. The cross brace bolts to a vertical strut that's attached to the chassis through the holes originally meant for the side screens-long since removed.

The other end of this strut secures to the top of the oil cooler.

Immediately behind the radiator you can see the idler wheel I fitted in place of the water pump. This allowed me to retain the original fan belt.

IMG_0743.jpg

This shows the bottom bracket I made that fits on the radiator mount.

IMG_0742.jpg

Here you can see the oil cooler thermostat housing in the middle of the picture. It was mounted on the suspension turret bracket originally meant for the side screens.

IMG_0744.jpg

This shows the reverse strut that fits to the top of the oil cooler and clamps around the main chassis leg at the other end.

That's the sensor wire for the low speed fan control running through insulated copper pipe and clamped to the reverse strut.

IMG_0748.jpg

This  shows the platform for the electric water pump temperature controller, electric water pump(behind) and the pressurised overflow bottle. Immediately to the right of the bottle is the ballast resistor for the low speed fan circuit.

I replaced the mechanical water pump many years ago and have no regrets. However you do have to get used to the temp gauge initially flicking back and forward as the pump cuts in and out during warmup. I run the cooling system without a thermostat and overall the set-up is far superior to the original mechanically driven one.

I would strongly recommend mounting the oil cooler to the side of the radiator for the following reasons:-

This location is less prone to damage from flying objects or speed bumps.

It receives a much improved air flow-no chassis rail blocking off part of the matrix.

Mounting the oil cooler behind the front chassis rail means that hot air is being passed through part of the radiator behind.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

Alan,

Thanks that's very useful. I've managed to mount the oil cooler vertically to the right but not as professionallly as your installation! At the moment I'm contemplating whether to continue with it or to remove it completely......

Dave