Darren Groves

Hi,

OK, the academic part.

The condenser must match the coil. Too little capacitance or too much and the spark will suffer & the points will erode with a crater on one of the surfaces and a tit on the other.

Have a close look at your points. Is there a transfer of metal from one side to the other? If so, the capacitance is wrong & you are losing spark power.

I don't remember which way the metal transfer is, as left the notes at work.. You can add capacitance easy by connecting an additional condenser between -VE of the coil and ground; saves trying to fit one under the dizzy cap and close to the points, where ideally it should really be.

Ideally, the condenser should match the coil primary. Like a tuned circuit at resonance. Tiiinngg. 

How to measure one? Capacitance meter or capacitor range on a multi-meter. 

Additionally, a large >50Uf Capacitor on the +VE terminal of the coil to ground will increase spark power. If a capacitor is required on the +ve terminal, you will find that you have measurable AC voltage on the +VE terminal WRT to ground.

Cheers,

Iain.

Edit: for around 10 quid: EBay # 372129918210

will measure dwell, frequency/RPM and voltage.

& current up to 10 amps AC/DC. I've ordered one to keep in the car. My Fluke is too expensive to leave in the car and this cheap one does it all!

Edited by Spitfire6
Added a meter
  • Thanks 1