Hi, prospective owner here

Only, decide what its worth to you and don't go above no matter how tempting.

Try not to bid in round pounds, 1000, 2000 etc. If there are any pre auction/sealed bids the auctioneers should take the highest ever if only £1 more.

Make sure that you are aware of the payment requirements before you go and also what extra fees you may be responsible for.

When the hammer comes down.. the winner pays!!!

22 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

If the car is at the auction, check about removing it. Many people go unprepared for things like taking it home. Above all, read all the small print. Most of all... good luck. Let us know how you get on.

The auction house can store it for 2 weeks FOC, its drivable and I would just need to insure it. I have a holiday home within 20 miles, so should be ok.....I will let you know how it goes....

On 7/21/2018 at 3:36 PM, Badwolf said:

If the car is at the auction, check about removing it. Many people go unprepared for things like taking it home. Above all, read all the small print. Most of all... good luck. Let us know how you get on.

The auction house can store it for 2 weeks FOC, its drivable and I would just need to insure it. I have a holiday home within 20 miles, so should be ok.....I will let you know how it goes....

Dave,

I was at that auction bidding for something different and did look at the Vitesse (Lot 35). The interior was decent enough but engine bay average as was the soft-top. The rationale for putting a low estimate is to encourage bidding and bidders to attend - a person with knowledge on the marque would suss that the estimate was low, as I am certain you did.

The hammer price was above its true value, you have lost nothing by not getting it but will have learnt a lot. That particular auction house is very good and will store cars FOC for 3x weeks not 2x weeks; their buyers premium (BP) is 8% which is a lot less than some - which can range between 6% to 20% !!

The ideal time to hear the engine starting is when the auction commences, stay by the car and hear it fire from cold - if you are happy with what you hear walk with the car until it's a couple of slots away from its moment of glory. By doing that you get to hear the engine running plus the additional noises associated with movement and with time to spare to get in to position to raise your paddle !!

You may have seen a very lovely 1968 blue Herald 13/60 with 28K warranted miles on the clock next to it (Lot 36) ??

That sold for £9,100 + BP: https://www.swva.co.uk/classic-car/triumph-herald-13-60-1968/

Triumphs are no longer resident in the "cheap seats" as far as pricing is concerned and that goes for most of the marque.

Regards.

Richard.