Spitfire Mk3 running hot.

mikehiggins

My Spit is fitted with a full width rad (recently reconned), side air deflectors,  and a good quality pull electric fan which comes in at the point where the needle passes the rh level on the meter. A new 74 degree thermostat is fitted. Still she runs with the needle on the high side in motion.

With the engine hot  and the needle indicating  high I have let the engine idle and monitored the result, which is that the air coming through the fan is relatively cool, the bottom of the rad is a little hotter but the top of the rad is hot and the fan is constantly engaged but seems to have only a very slow effect on the needle.

My logic is pointing me to the water pump but any other suggestions would be appreciated please. Thanks in advance, Mike.

might be obvious but are you sure its hot and not a temperature gauge problem?
It will run hotter in this weather on my 1500 herald with a new standard size radiator it goes higher up the gauge than normal when idling  but then stops moving and doesn't get any hotter even when it been 30C outside. I only have the mechanical fan on it.
You can buy very cheap IR sensors to check the actual temperature.

cheers

mike

yes i agree there many spent a season changing and funding all sorts of supposed cooling improvements when they have the wrong temperature sender or a voltage stabilised problem

at risk of repeating 

thermo bi metal stabilised gauges need a GTR108  or equivalent

fast moving iron non stabilised use  121997   

mix them up even in the parts bin and you get hot reading  on the gauge 

we had a member on the old forum change an engine because of this ....its very common 

a 74c thermostat is low it should for uk and european climates be a   82c  to get the mixture correct  , cold engine equals rich mixture and bore washing 

not recomended 

Pete