Newsletters, Turning Circles & Couriers

Chris Longhurst

As the topic of Newsletters, Couriers & Turning Circles has come up in a few ‘threads’ I went back to look at the history of these TSSC publications. An A5 newsletter has been published more or less monthly, under various names, from October 1977 until present.

#1 (Oct 1977) to #14 (April 1977) the publication was simply known as the ‘NEWSLETTER’ with the TSSC logo, date and number on the front. In May 1979 (#15) the monthly publication was renamed ‘Turning Circle’ (not to be confused with later Turning Circles – see below) and continued under this name until #26 in May 1980. June 1980s publication (#27) was labelled ‘Temporary Issue; this was succeeded in July 1980 by ‘The Courier’ #1 – which has continued until the present day.

Single topic Turning Circles (Marques, Competition, 10th Anniversary of the TSSC...) in A5 format started in October 1981 (#1 Herald) and continued until May 1991 (#17 Spitfire IV 1500).

I also have two A4 Turning Circles which do not fit into the general pattern. The first from March 1979 and labelled Vol 1 Number 1 was edited by Peter Hocking; the cover page reads ‘Turning Circle. Incorporating The Amphicar Owners Register‘  and has a few pages of club news; the rest is dedicated to the Amphicar.

The second A4 TC is undated and was edited by D.R.Hughes – I think it was published in late 1980; it contains a long article by Dave Bayliss & Sue Chambers on the Round Britain Tour for the Herald’s 21st birthday which I think was in May 1980, a short update on Bonds by Dave McDougall and an article on Clutch Overhaul by myself (I don’t remember that at all!). It is printed on glossy paper & has some decent pictures of the tour in it.

I don’t have, or recall, any other A4 Turning Circles – but maybe someone out there has seen others.

Chris 78/00350

• Thanks 2