Best place for head work? Spitfire engine

jiggawhat2k

Hi there, I've seen some great guides (some by you guys I think!) on getting work done on the head, porting/polishing, skimming and matching to the exhaust manifold and so on. 

I saw moss sell ready built heads that are ported etc. Anyone know if they're good? 

Anyone got suggestions of companies or individuals who can do head work if I sent a head (or buy one off them with work done)?

Plan is to combine with mk3 spit cam and twin SUs plus 421 manifold, so nothing too extreme, fast road. 

Thanks very much! 

Just had my Vitesse head and intake manifold refurbished by CTM Performance at Dagenham tel:- 020 8592 1180. Really good work, the valves are now level, unlike the valves Jigsaw put in for me 2 years ago! He has been doing performance head (and full engine) work for 35 years and knows his job and the black art of head modification.

He, Charlie, has different levels of head development, I had a "Terry" level which is:- strip clean and crack test, port and polish 3 angle, supply and fit bronze guides, supply gas flowed s/steel valves, fit Terry spec duplex springs, skim to give 10.5 : 1 compression (for me with +20 pistons that's approx 30.5cc in head), match and modify/match inlet manifold to give more even flow and reface rocker arms.

He does a "Mark" level which I believe is more race orientated but give him a call and discuss what you want to achieve. I know he is there today as I spoke to him about an hour ago.

Hope this helps

Iain

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I've just had my 1500 head done by Peter Burgess. Excellent service, reasonable price and a nice bunch to deal with. (See my blog linked below)

Thanks, good detail in the blog so will read over it properly cheers 

6 hours ago, Iain T said:

Just had my Vitesse head and intake manifold refurbished by CTM Performance at Dagenham tel:- 020 8592 1180. Really good work, the valves are now level, unlike the valves Jigsaw put in for me 2 years ago! He has been doing performance head (and full engine) work for 35 years and knows his job and the black art of head modification.

He, Charlie, has different levels of head development, I had a "Terry" level which is:- strip clean and crack test, port and polish 3 angle, supply and fit bronze guides, supply gas flowed s/steel valves, fit Terry spec duplex springs, skim to give 10.5 : 1 compression (for me with +20 pistons that's approx 30.5cc in head), match and modify/match inlet manifold to give more even flow and reface rocker arms.

He does a "Mark" level which I believe is more race orientated but give him a call and discuss what you want to achieve. I know he is there today as I spoke to him about an hour ago.

Hope this helps

Iain

Great thanks Iain good suggestion, will give him a shout!