Stromberg jet washer/ bushing

haggis

Hi folks. Hopefully a simple question for you clever lot. Had a carb running rich, couldn’t seem to adjust it out, so with time on my hands decided to strip it down and see what I can find. The ‘o’ ring jet seal appeared worn and the wrong shape so replaced that ( possible culprit?) 
But in reassembly I went to screw the orifice adjusting screw to the bridge of the carb but it just didn’t quite make it, not by much but maybe 1/2mm short. But If I take the top washer off it does come above the bridge. So question is can I leave this washer out? even though it’s present on the other two carbs and all the schematic drawings I’ve seen? or is there something else potentially wrong? It’s a mk1 Gt6 carb. 
thanks 

hag 

the jet holder is supposed to be below the bridge its an aid to atomising the mix as it leaves the jet 

the jet itself should raise to touch the fully down air piston and when 3 turns down be below the top of the   jet holder 

i would not remove the sealing washer ,  getting right sized jet 0 rings can be hard some are awful and worse than whats removed 

Thanks Pete, it doesn’t quite reach the piston, the other two stick up a couple of mm above it and easily adjusted down to the bridge, but this doesn’t quite get there. I’m guessing as three turns down is only to get a basic setting that’s it’s not that important? And better to keep the washer than not? In the daylight I can see I’ve also got flat spots on the needle too. Fun, fun fun. I’ve ordered from Burlen so hopefully they should be good. 

hag