Fitting Herald 1200 With a Fusebox

Bordfunker

I am in the midst of rebuilding the loom on my Herald, which has already been converted by a previous owner from dynamo to alternator, and given that the control box is now effectively redundant, I was considering fitting a fuse box in its place.

The way the PO configured the alternator set up was to run two new leads from the output terminal on the alternator to the battery connection terminal on the starter solenoid, with an extra cable running from the smaller spade terminal on the alternator to the ignition wiring lead.

They then plugged a cable from the 3/8 spade connector on the back of the starter solenoid to the A terminal on the control box, with the other brown feeds, for lights and horns going to the A1 terminal.

Still with me? Am I making sense?

Now apart from the fact that I completely missed the live feed from the starter solenoid to the A1 terminal when I re-wrapped the loom, I am assuming that once reinstated I could fit a simple fusebox between the brown live feed from the back of the starter solenoid, and the horn and light feeds.

Is this worthwhile, and if so is my approach sound?

All comments gratefully received as I know bugger all about electrics, amongst many other topics!

Thanks

Karl

11 hours ago, Bordfunker said:

Now apart from the fact that I completely missed the live feed from the starter solenoid to the A1 terminal when I re-wrapped the loom, I am assuming that once reinstated I could fit a simple fusebox between the brown live feed from the back of the starter solenoid, and the horn and light feeds.

Is this worthwhile, and if so is my approach sound?

All comments gratefully received as I know bugger all about electrics, amongst many other topics!

Thanks

Karl

I know others have done it; there are a number of posts on here concerning modern fuseboxes and it's something I'm considering for my 1200s. I know we have a lot of electrical gurus here and they'll no doubt advise the best setup for the Herald and which circuits to fuse, as I'm all ears!