Water pump 1500 Dolly engine going in a spitfire

Foggers

Hi All,

I'm rebuilding a 1500 Dolly (prefix YC) engine to go in a Spitfire. I want to replace the water pump, but I don't know the year of the engine, and I see there are different pumps fitted to the 1500 engine. Anyone able to tell me how to identify which pump is correct? It hasn't got a fan on it, so I don't know whether it HAS to be a viscous fan drive type, if that is what was originally fitted. (Are all the pump bodies the same & interchangeable?)

Thanks in advance

Brendan. 

Hi All,

I'm rebuilding a 1500 Dolly (prefix YC) engine to go in a Spitfire. I want to replace the water pump, but I don't know the year of the engine, and I see there are different pumps fitted to the 1500 engine. Anyone able to tell me how to identify which pump is correct? It hasn't got a fan on it, so I don't know whether it HAS to be a viscous fan drive type, if that is what was originally fitted. (Are all the pump bodies the same & interchangeable?)

Thanks in advance

Brendan. 

Brendan, I cannot answer the water pump question I'm afraid but do you have the correct pre-engaged starter motor because if you don't you may have difficulty in locating one. This starter is unique to that engine; very rare and a normal inertia motor will not work. The answer if you don't have the correct motor is to change the ring gear and then you can use the usual model. I thought I'd mention it before you get too far down the line.

John

John is correct, easiest solution is to use a spitfire 1500 flywheel and then any spit/herald starter can be used.

As to water pump, you can use either viscous (though the viscous unit can be troublesome) or normal fixed. 

earlier cars use a slightly smaller diameter pump pulley, but still work. May require slightly shorter fan belt.