This gaiter takes a bite out of your finances

fitting rack gaiters is so far worse job in the world I have encountered , roflexes and gearbox rebuilds were a doddle in comparison. tool is great idea will need it when the rubbish boots I fitted fail any time soon .Will then try the c doig ones . to add insult to injury the retaining clips in the kit for the boots on the rack output rod were far too big for the job..

48 minutes ago, griffipaul said:

fitting rack gaiters is so far worse job in the world I have encountered , roflexes and gearbox rebuilds were a doddle in comparison. tool is great idea will need it when the rubbish boots I fitted fail any time soon .Will then try the c doig ones . to add insult to injury the retaining clips in the kit for the boots on the rack output rod were far too big for the job..

The 'sunrise' tool (as it's been christened on here) certainly worked for me, although it was the second version of the design, my first attempt with shorter 'petals' didn't prove effective. To make it I used the flexible plastic lid from a container of bird feeder 'fat balls' which you can buy (up here in the North at any rate) at shops like Wilko for about 4 quid. Any soft thermoplastic material should work ok, as long as it's thick enough. As other forum members might find the tool useful I'll post a dimensioned photo of it over the next few days. The plastic lid I used was soft enough to cut out the required shape with household scissors, but it was more than strong enough for the job.

As for the gaiters themselves, the ones I purchased from Chic Doig look excellent, nice and substantial, so I can personally recommend them.

Ian 

Just a few extra comments to make on this thread. Firstly, having replaced the gaiter I've now decided to tart up the wishbones, track rod and anti-roll bar whilst I'm at it. During my time in the IT industry this sort of thing was referred to as 'project creep'........and was considered  a definite negative as far as your future career prospects were concerned! Secondly, whilst taking everything back to bare metal I came across a couple of vestiges of our industrial heritage that made me smile..........a proud stamping proclaiming 'Made in Great Britain', and then a 'Stanpart' stamping that gives a graphic example of why the former isn't seen quite so often any more!! 

Ian

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

As promised a dimensioned drawing of the 'sunrise' tool, just in case it is of use to other Forum members.........plus a picture of the type of plastic lid that works particularly well and is the correct size.........not to mentioning supporting the local bird population.

Ian

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Thanks 1