TR6 Distributor and Alternator

c.hydes

Hi, am new to this forum;

Two questions; - I`am trying to eliminate various noises from my 74 TR6 PI.

1.) - Can I run the engine for a short period with the fan belt disconnected to see how much the engine noise changes without alternator to see if its bearings noise etc?

2.) - The distributor Lucas 22D6 has a Pertronics electronic ignition fitted. If I remove the red rotor and lift up the top shaft does this measure the "end float", if so what should it be, it seems to move up/down quite a lot?

Best regards, Colin.

1. Yes, but only a minute or so. (I recently ran a TR7 engine having taken the water pump out, so no water at all.)

2. No measurement, but all the distributors I have fiddled with have done as you say. More important is the side to side waggle measurement. Basically if you can feel more than the tiniest movement, it is too much.

13 hours ago, clive said:

1. Yes, but only a minute or so. (I recently ran a TR7 engine having taken the water pump out, so no water at all.)

2. No measurement, but all the distributors I have fiddled with have done as you say. More important is the side to side waggle measurement. Basically if you can feel more than the tiniest movement, it is too much.

Thanks Clive. Just to confirm, ............."side to side" you mean diametrically ie N>S or E>W rather than clockwise/anticlockwise on the circumference?

Cheers, Colin.

correct.

You will be able to turn the rotor arm even if you hold the bottom drive, that is the mechanical advance mechanism. 

If you want the distributor overhauled, the "distributor doctor" is probably the very best, but not cheap (good is rarely cheap!) Beware any new distributors, quality is variable and advance curves are random at best.