eBay Herald

NickMorgan

I was looking at that listing a few days ago; a very nice-looking clean and original Herald. I don't think I've ever seen it in the flesh but it looks okay from the photos. A few small niggles; no heater valve, and the flasher unit in behind the battery, and what brake pipe I can see at the front is not original where it goes to the caliper - what looks like a solid pipe where there should be a hose?

Pricey, but maybe worth it.

Thank you Colin. You clearly know your Heralds! The body certainly looks nice in the pictures. I would never have spotted the items you have mentioned.

It is interesting that there are three Heralds on eBay just now around the same price bracket. I have been thinking for a while that I should sell my 1300 and Toledo and buy a really nice car to keep my TR3 company! This would look good in the garage, but it is a long way away to go and look at and I need to sort out some issues with the other two cars before I can sell them. Nice to dream, though!!

12 minutes ago, NickMorgan said:

It is interesting that there are three Heralds on eBay just now around the same price bracket. I have been thinking for a while that I should sell my 1300 and Toledo and buy a really nice car to keep my TR3 company! 

I know... I've been looking! I can be choosy and find faults as I'm not buying!

Actually that yellow / white one does have a heater valve, it's a Delaney Gallay so that top pipe is correct - you can just make out the valve below, but it's quite dark.

The blue and white one is interesting; looks clean but I don't really like the colour scheme, and I wish they hadn't lifted it by the outriggers. Ouch! The one I do like, the 1963 saloon, came from Northern Ireland so I'd only be bringing it back again.

26 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Checking the MOT history there is a history of chassis corrosion so this would have to be checked thoroughly before parting with monies 

Paul 

Why didn't I think to check out the MOT history?!! Thank you for the heads-up on the chassis corrosion.

19 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I know... I've been looking! I can be choosy and find faults as I'm not buying!

Actually that yellow / white one does have a heater valve, it's a Delaney Gallay so that top pipe is correct - you can just make out the valve below, but it's quite dark.

The blue and white one is interesting; looks clean but I don't really like the colour scheme, and I wish they hadn't lifted it by the outriggers. Ouch! The one I do like, the 1963 saloon, came from Northern Ireland so I'd only be bringing it back again.

The solid brake pipe instead of a flexi hose is a bit of a worry! I am glad you spotted the heater valve. I would never have seen that.

I agree with you about the blue and white car. I thought it looked nice, but the red interior doesn't work for me.

I was drawn by the colour scheme of the white and yellow car. Very eye-catching. I really like the two-tone Heralds, which is why I was less keen on the blue car. It does look lovely and original, although to my untrained eye, I ask why if the screws on the bootlid, attaching it to the frame are original. My Toledo is very original, but the paint is totally flat and almost porous. It has worn through in a few places, too. After I mop it, any polish leaves a white residue, so it really needs a repaint. I was concerned that the paint on the blue Herald could end up the same way! Shame there are no pictures of the engine compartment and no pictures of the underside of either car. 

The screws appear original from what I can make out; the should be four, two per side.

My mother has a great saying: "the hungry eye sees far..." Therefore I can look very closely and carefully at cars I like, and try to persuade myself that I don't really need them by finding little niggles...

• Like 1