Rocker cover gasket sealant

Robin

I’m just about to replace my rocker cover with a spare that I’ve re-spayed to look a bit nicer. I’ve got a new cork gasket but I’m also thinking that a small amount of sealant might be a good idea to prevent any oil leaks.

I’ve already got a tube of Loctite blue silicon gasket and a tube of CarPlan Gastite instant gasket - are either of those suitable?

Thanks

Robin

Shouldn't really need silicone on the rocker cover, just a smear of grease on each side, which allows for easy removal and refitting later.

That said, I bond the cork gasket to the rocker cover with silicone then grease the side that contacts the cylinder head. This holds the gasket firmly in place while allowing for easy removal. This is very useful with alloy covers that don't have a lip to locate the gasket.

Nigel

And I should also add, if the pressed steel original type of rocker has been distorted by over-tightening, no amount of sealant will stop the leaks.

Check the cover's gasket face is flat, and true up by gently tapping with a small hammer if necessary. If the top holes for the fixing studs have been pushed inwards by over-tightening, tap these out to restore the original profile. These nuts don't need to be much more than dinner tight.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Nigel Clark said:

Shouldn't really need silicone on the rocker cover, just a smear of grease on each side, which allows for easy removal and refitting later.

That said, I bond the cork gasket to the rocker cover with silicone then grease the side that contacts the cylinder head. This holds the gasket firmly in place while allowing for easy removal. This is very useful with alloy covers that don't have a lip to locate the gasket.

Nigel

Hi Nigel

so do I grease the face of the cork gasket that comes into contact with the cylinder head?