Vitesse door caps

Alex73

Happy New Year all.

sorry on advance if I am asking questions covered to death in the past!

looking for a service to re veneer the door caps of my vitesse convertible. 

anyone one have any tips or nuggets of knowledge they could share? 

Hi, Not sure if the cappings had a veneer as such?.  Mine on Vit saloon were tired with some water ingress stains, though maybe not as bad a some can be?.

I just rubbed them down to smooth. Applied a good few coats of thickish common varnish (without flatting in between). Last coat I waited a few weeks for it to harden and then flatted with a couple of finer grades wet and dry (final, very fine grade). Very smooth finish and didn't bother with a polish as had a good sheen.

A few folk have commentated on how good they look (one person asked where I had them done).

That was a good few years ago and still good. Haven't suffered any scratching/chipping so far and car was used a lot.

Also did a spare dash this way ,(though haven't got around to fitting it yet, one day maybe). the veneer layer was in good condition, though was separating in places (used Araldite type glue, though any wood glue would work, and those cheap DIY, trigger clamps). The top coat top was cracked and peeling and I think was the original finish?. It mainly just lifted off with the help of a thin decorating, general, filler spatula to get under it.    

Of course, you may want a veneer finish and not want to DIY, just thought I'd mention.

Dave  

Edited by daverclasper