Removing 6 cylinder rocker shaft end caps

daverclasper

Have managed one end by drifting off with a punch in the whatsit pin holes.

Other no joy, though if It can strip it all from one end , then should be to get, tother end off more easily.

If not then maybe not the end of the world, as can still clean it out ok, as it seems a good shaft and rockers (bought very cheap off Ebay, as a small risk).

Intend to replace my fairly recent £25 (read prob, crap) new shaft and existing "large rattle fit" original rockers.

May as well, will stop me thinking (paranoia?), is that shaft wearing quickly and limiting oil supply to rockers . Don't want to have to take rocker off, just to check this.

Dave 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  Trying to get pedestals of shaft. First came off ok. Second, pretty stuck (with old baked, oil I assume and had been sitting around for years). Have tried heating pedestal with decorating gun to try and expand plus penetratingly fluid. Will move a couple of cm back and forth, when laying the other pedestals along a block of wood and a dead blow hammer on the pedestal, though won't move with hands.

Any tips please?.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

Thanks Pete, you replied secs after me.

I thinks it's the old baked oil, thickening the shaft/pedestal bores.

Any easy way of removing this, to put them back on and lined up more easily. Caustic soda, etc?, though pedestals are alloy (not too much dissolving wanted), maybe enough with the shaft?.

Still really, surprisingly, tight to refit.   

Edited by daverclasper