Chrome or Stainless locking fuel cap for a Triumph Herald

jagnut66

Hi, 

I'm on the lookout for a chromed or stainless steel locking fuel cap that will fit my Triumph Herald 1200.

I've looked online but so far all I can see are black plastic ones.

I can see locking chrome ones for spitfires, in fact I bought one on the strength that it looked like it might fit from the pictures in the advert and has the same three lugs but found it to be too large for the Herald.

If anyone knows a source or has a period one for sale I would be grateful.

Many thanks,

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I kept looking and one came up that looked right, quite cheap but then it is a bit pitted.

However I don't mind a bit of 'patina', especially if it increases the chances of me keeping the fuel I paid for in my tank by making a bit harder to nick.

Came with two keys and the lock turns freely......

But it didn't seem that it would actually lock anything.....

So I took it apart and found that someone had removed the 'locking bar' that is supposed to pop out when you turn the key and stop the cap from being turned and removed???🙄

A bit of an odd thing to do, especially when you consider that they had then put it all back together again.

Never mind, it gave me the small challenge of making up a replacement locking bar (arrowed in image below) and the spacer needed to clamp it in place once it's all screwed back together.

C'est la vie.............

It is now all back together, greased up and the screws locktighted in place to be sure. 🙂

I'm still surprised that the likes of Rimmer Bros. don't supply chrome ones off the shelf though............

Best wishes,

Mike.

Triumph Herald locking fuel cap 1.JPG

Triumph Herald locking fuel cap 2.jpg