GT6 MK3 Roto. Adjusting fron suspension height. Advice.

My question here is, in practice, what is the best approach to adjusting the ride height on the front suspension.

So: Vehicle is in a state where I have started giving it initial shakedowns up and down the unmetalled track. I note limited clearance between the lip of the front wheel arches and the tyre. While I don't have any official measurements for what he lip to ground height should be (or lip to tyre) I'm working on the basis that if one can slide the palm of one's hand in then that's about what it would have been OE. So on that basis an extra half inch might be my initial aim and see how it looks from there.

Seems like I have three options: 1) Spacer between upper spring pan and turret, 2) spacer on lower spring pan and 3) ride and height adjustable shocks (£££s!!).

Based on the experience of others, what's the best route to go down in the first instance? I'm also not clear on the geometry of spacers. If I put in (say) a 0.5 inch spacer does that raise the body height by (what is the effective) diagonal thickness of the spacer e.g 0.7 inch or so?

Front setup is entirely standard 155/80/r13 on 4.5J. Correct springs (Fitchetts) and generic shocks. Nothing moded. Not shimmed for camber yet. Tracking about 1/16 toe in at present (kerb condition)

Of course, there's the rear susp to consider. That has it's own issues. Still sitting on the high(ish) side despite reusing the old spring and with a one inch spacer but I waiting to see how much that'll settle during shakedowns.

Any opinions general or specific on all of the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks

C

You have too much faith is things being correct. New springs may or may not be the same poundage and uncompressed lengths. Likewise shocks vary greatly on the pan height. The black cheap n nasty ones were about an inch too high at one point, not sure if they are now. But it seems all teh shocks are different, and have been right from the very start.

But you can start with the compressed/fitted spring length on the car, should be 8.1" 

To check visually, find some of the factory pictures of the cars, it will give you a good idea. 

My spitfire is very modified, but I have the spring height at the front a smidge under the factory height, to give good clearance for speed humps etc. The springs are lowered, so it is achieved using spacers fitted between the spring and top pan. The spacers give an approx like for like change in ride height.