Converting a Mk3 Spitfire hood to a Mk2 frame

Peter Truman

The daughter Spitfire Mk2 US Robbins vinyl soft top is nearly 20 years old now & whilst not leaking it is getting a little raggy around the front windscreen sealing pocket esp at the ends.

I could get it repaired, but I also have a NOS, but old now vinyl Robbins Mk3 folding soft top. Looking at it the modification necessary at the rear to fit the steel bar to slot into the two chrome rear panel anchor lugs should be easy and there is enough loose and spare vinyl at the front to make the seal bar pockets which fit under the upper windscreen frame aluminum lip.

Has anyone done such a conversion/modification and if so what if any are the pitfalls?

I had intended to convert the hood arrangement to a full Mk3 folding arrangement and over the years I've collected all the parts eg to fit a Mk3 folding frame, header, clamps and hood onto a Mk2 except the inner panel of the B pillars which require a different profile and anchor plate to mount the Mk3 folding frame onto it. In retrospect I just think this is an unnecessary amount of buggering around compared to modifying the hood itself.

Any advice would be welcome

Peter T

Never thought that latterly, I always assumed because the Mk3 hood had 3 mounting bolts each side a shortish and loose push in tube wouldn’t be strong enough!
Thinking about it there would be similar forces when up whether Mk2 or Mk3, but there would be more stress pulling up and down as with a Mk2 you put the frame up and lay the onto it.

Have to think about that one