New sills, welding etc.

Dave the tram

Ho hum, not the most encouraging of days. The favoured body shop (who has a good reputation), after raising my hopes initially, today put the car on the ramps and had a good look over. As I originally expected, they would only tackle it if doing it a to a good standard and replacing anything that was substandard. This would be better than I require and costlier than the car warrants (and we’ll beyond my budget). Might go back to someone’s suggestion of ‘keep patching it up, save your money and drive it like you stole it!’
Also! I dithered too long on a bonnet that was for sale. Once I decided it was better than mine and might resolve some of the issues - it had gone of course’ . I think I’ll get quotes for welding in the rear arch sections (or if simpler a complete outer wing for about £250 from Rimmers), then work steadily on patching and rubbing the other more minor flaws myself. Either carry on with rattle cans or buy a spray gun. Then lots of injection with Bilt Hamber wax/rust converter.

Now regaining perspective over a beer or two!

cheers

Dave

Now looking at just getting rear wing sorted, plus anything they discover with bottom of B post, end of sill etc. then sort paintwork myself. Bodyshop suggest easier and more cost effective to fit new outer wing (about£250 for the panel) The problem is, all the outer wings I can find with suppliers need modifying as they don’t have a fuel filler aperture. This makes me think to go back to the idea of getting bottom half repair panels welded in as this should be less work than fitting the aperture. Does anyone have experience of the fuel aperture issue. I’m assuming that even just doing the repair panels would still need the tank taking out - perhaps not if just the front section.

cheers

Dave

Is the wheel arch (inside the wing) all OK? if so, you may be right, but if it needs an outer or inner arch, it will be better to take teh wing off as access will be so much easier.

The GT6 filler is usually cut out and welded into the new wing. So not overly difficult. 

BUT in general it is best to get happy agreement from the body shop about tackling a job. 

Pretty sure the the inner is all good but will clean everything fully and poke about some more before discussing with them further. Their thinking was that fitting the full wing avoids the time consuming finishing of the joins to repair sections. I’m guessing that cutting out fitting and finishing the aperture would be more work than that. 

Dave