GT6 Mk3

Gazza

Hi all, merry belated xmas.

I am replacing my timing cover gasket and when I removed the bolt immediately under the bolt stud around a litre water came out!, it was quite dirty and grey unlike the water I drained for the radiator removal, there was no oil in the water and no water in the oil, is this normal?

The bolts / studs at the top go through into the water jacket, so the water here should be the same as the radiator coolant. If not, you may have a blockage in the cooling water jacket round the block, so with that bolt still removed get water flowing through the system from a hose and see if you can get a good stream out, to indicate that there's free flow in that area. No trace of oil is a good sign that nothing is mixing, but I'd try a good mix of antifreeze, something brightly coloured, so that you can definitely confirm coolant is reaching that area. Remove the block drain tap or bolt on the side of the block, and flush the block completely when you've got so far, it can only help in future. It may surprise you what can accumulate there.