J Overdrive Sump cover gasket sealant

Lance Smith

What sort of gasket sealant should be used for the J Overdrive Sump cover, NKC54?  I had used a non hardening adhesive type sealer and now I cant get the sump cover off.  Six bolts hold the thick rigid cast sump cover in place.  Would axle grease have been a better choice? non hardening blue hylomar?  I live in America.

I am open to suggestions on how to separate the sump cover without damage.

Any kind of oil-resistant sealant would do (once you get it off, be careful not to damage it!!) - I used the proper gasket and a thin smear of black engine sealant, worked fine on mine.

If yours won't come off it may just need more pressure, but be careful not to warp it or make any kind of mark round the rim that may leak in future.

I got it off by carefully and gently using a sharpish chisel and hammer.  Thankfully nothing was damaged.  The OD is still in the car and access is limited.  the sump plate is the same size as the body of the OD there, so there isn't much to tap on.  Filters appear to be clean with no debris. Thanks for the responses.

I just used my hand to twist and pull out the NKC53 suction filter. Shiny coloration on the filter screen made it look as if the screen had been pressed flat up against the pipe part restricting flow. Inside the sandwiched screen are sheet metal prongs to keep the screens from collapsing tight.

I used an adjustable pin spanner to remove the three plugs.  The pin spanner works fine on the bench, but not so well with the O/D in between the chassis rails.

Is there a socket type pin spanner? it looks like the pins should be 3/16" (5mm) dia on 5/8" pin centers.

IMG_1188.JPG

NKC53_FilterSuction_IMG_1241.JPG