Bleeding Brakes - not working

Pettifordo

I am rebuilding my Spitfire 1500 with a single line system on the brakes.

I purchased a new clutch and brake cylinder from ANG Classic Car Parts.

Bleeding the clutch was straight forward.

When I have come to bleed the brakes I can’t get any fluid to leave the header tank. 

The master cylinder seems to be able to provide pressure (without fluid in header tank and with my thumb over the outlet hole I get some pressure build up when I depress the plunger ).

Anyone seen this before ? Do I have to do something to prime the system ? What is the best way to check the inlet value ?

thanks 

sounds like the seal that closes the reservoir off is misplaced or not seating at the first touch of the pedal 

do make sure the pedal is fully returning to the brake switch stop position if it has a siezed pedal spindle you 

stop the seal from closing with foot off and the resevoir wont refill as you bleed out 

Pete

yes try disconnecting the pedal completely from the master cylinder. Like this fluid should flow freely from the reservoir through the MC and out to the brakes - in fact thats how one-person brake bleeders work, either applying a pressure to the reservoir with a special cap or sucking with a small pump/syringe from the bleed nipple and no pedal operation required....

If this doesnt happen then looks like theres a problem with the MC.

• 4 weeks later...

I fixed the brakes.

It seems that someone had welded an extra bit on to the top of the plunger, so that when this was installed in the master cylinder it meant that the master cylinder couldn’t travel all the way down the piston so I think that meant that the inlet value to the header tank didn’t open.

No idea why PO would weld such a thing on ???? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pettifordo said:

I fixed the brakes.

It seems that someone had welded an extra bit on to the top of the plunger, so that when this was installed in the master cylinder it meant that the master cylinder couldn’t travel all the way down the piston so I think that meant that the inlet value to the header tank didn’t open.

No idea why PO would weld such a thing on ???? 

Maybe trying to reduce pedal travel and probably did but prevents entry of fresh fluid, doh!