3M DP490 Doh!

Neil Clark

So muggins / dummy here thought he was smarter and wasn't willing to buy the applicator thingy as well as the DP490 itself.  I thought I could just push out one side then half that from the other side and mix the stuff on a piece of old cardboard as per Araldite of old.  Thank goodness I was wearing good rubber gloves as pushing one tube simply forced most of it back down the other tube and out the bottom where my hands were.   Moral - read the guidelines from the forum experts.  They've good reason to suggest certain ways to do things!

On the subject of 3M DP490......

I've got a situation of needing to let in a full length door skin lower repair section. Usually I'd weld, but in this particular case (for various reasons) it has to be an adhesive bond. Has half inch joddled step with a good fit.

Question is choice of adhesive. I've tried various products on test pieces (C-Tec, Q-max, 1k PU adhesive, for example). Best, thus far, is ordinary EvoStik Epoxy Rapid.  Might DP490 offer even greater strength? But might I just be paying ££s more for only a marginal gain (in this particular situatiuon)?

Any ideas or experiences?

Dp490 is one of the best, Kent automotive, Thatcham approved is excellent too. there are other cheaper types.

There is a huge list here...www.lasaero.com which I think Kevin posted in response to my adhesive tests the other year. Some are horrendously expensive but are designed to hold planes and rockets together. Look for the phrase 'structural adhesive'

You could also have a read here..

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/2623-on-to-the-next-bit-nose-to-tail-1972-spitfire-mkiv-restoration-upgrades/

..look up bonnet, hardtop and adhesive bonding. Some of it is rather spread out I'm afraid.