Dachboard

Paul Amey

Hi guys, just to add from my experience of these dashes and I've seen/restored a few by now (I'm Handmade by Heary).

The dash panels and door cappings were finished in American black walnut of varying quality tone and grain. I've often seen them mistaken for teak but if you've ever stripped a dash down and removed any fixtures or fittings that cover the wood you'll notice how dark it is underneath. 

The clear coat used originally didn't have UV inhibitors and tended to turn cloudy and yellow. The veneer in turn is sun bleached (yes even UK cars 😂) and turns a lighter color resembling teak, this paired with the yellowed cloudy clear coat results in a rather confusing range of opinions of veneers used originally.

Depending on how the car was looked after, if it was garaged or kept outdoors or even the climate the car lived in will result in various examples. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Handmade_by_Heary said:

Hi guys, just to add from my experience of these dashes and I've seen/restored a few by now (I'm Handmade by Heary).

The dash panels and door cappings were finished in American black walnut of varying quality tone and grain. I've often seen them mistaken for teak but if you've ever stripped a dash down and removed any fixtures or fittings that cover the wood you'll notice how dark it is underneath. 

The clear coat used originally didn't have UV inhibitors and tended to turn cloudy and yellow. The veneer in turn is sun bleached (yes even UK cars 😂) and turns a lighter color resembling teak, this paired with the yellowed cloudy clear coat results in a rather confusing range of opinions of veneers used originally.

Depending on how the car was looked after, if it was garaged or kept outdoors or even the climate the car lived in will result in various examples. 

Makes sense, wood being a "natural material" will have variations in colour and grain texture, etc;. Anyone who has ever bought genuine wood furniture, and especially kitchen furniture will likely have seen the "disclaimer" often printed/attached to them making just that point. We Had two doors replaced, same supplier, after water damage and you can see the colour difference 5 years apart.

My Father in Law, was an "Old Time" French Polisher, and he would spend many hours matching colour and finish when "repairing" damaged furniture for local Furniture Shops. Quite a lucrative sideline after he retired, bought himelf and MIL a few Spanish Holidays😁.

Pete