Checking a gearbox for Spare or Repair

Paul H

Yes leaving intact for when it’s required. I have another box , single rail spitfire box which is definitely for spares . The input shaft having significant rust . I purchased this one just for part 156911 as I understand this box  shares the same 1/2nd synchro outer ring as the Vitesse . I’ll dig it out and start stripping just for the learning exercise 

Paul 

5 minutes ago, johny said:

I really dont know how significant chipped teeth are (Id like to know the cause) but if the inner bearing surface were good Id be tempted to use it because of the lack of replacements...

When I emptied the box of oil , there was no crud / debris ie no tell tale signs 
Paul 

some chipped teeth can be used if you grind/dremmel   the sharp edge off the fracture to avoid noise 

but all the bits went somewhere and could  have drained out in a previous life 

and we dont know if the chipped teeth were the result of debris in the mesh  , tooth fatigue, or some  misalignment (eg missing crank spigot )

Pete

On 26/12/2022 at 22:05, johny said:

I think the mistake might have been made early on and then repeated elsewhere. Has anyone in the great org ever seen a fabled WM gearbox?

Just to finish this off, Ive seen from Rimmers site that the WM was the later design of the single rail gearbox as used in the last Dolomite 1850 with changes to 1st, 2nd and reverse gears from the previous single rail which was presumibly WH...