Cheap temperature controller for electric rad fan

johny

If anyone is of a mind to fit an electric cooling fan I can recommend this temperature controller off eBay at 6 pounds delivered (be sure to get the 12v version). No need to spend loads on a dedicated unit as this is has an internal relay good for up to 10A and is pretty well sealed although some silicone around the wires exits would be sensible in applications where exposed to the elements. It comes with a probe that you fit in the radiator fins but I think you could change it for a suitable NTC screw in sensor and is easy to set up with the actual and set point temperatures shown on the display. You can separately set the fan start and stop temperatures to give a suitable dead band and after a bit of experimenting I found 92º - 87º to be good for my Vitesse.

Picture 1 of 11

I am using a similar device bought from Maplin when they still existed.  Probe is clamped to the inlet to the radiator. The switch on point is adjusted by a control knob scaled 1 to 10 so I do not know the exact temperature but adjusted so that it switches on when the temperature gauge exceeds half scale.  The problem  was that I had to add some hysteresis to stop the relay chattering , switching on and off rapidly, as it reached the set point.

For 3+ pounds perhaps its time for an upgrade Graham? I can confirm that the unit holds the set temperatures when powered down which, although the power draw is minimal, I recommend because if faulty it could run the fan while Im away from the car🤪