Voltmeter Illumination

Jonah

Afternoon all

ive added a voltmeter gauge to my mk3 spitfire, and have used a new replica gauge

the gauge works fine but the illumination is much brighter than the other gauges in the car

could I reduce the voltage to the bulb with an inline resistor to dim the illumination?

best Julian 

I’ve got used to all other gauges being so dimly lit that when I installed the voltmeter it shone like the North Star!

I’ll change the other bulbs to see if they brighten and if not I’ll try a 6 volt bulb in the voltmeter

its odd because all bulbs are 12v yet the difference is illuminating!!

12 minutes ago, Jonah said:

I’ve got used to all other gauges being so dimly lit that when I installed the voltmeter it shone like the North Star!

I’ll change the other bulbs to see if they brighten and if not I’ll try a 6 volt bulb in the voltmeter

I didn’t mean a 6 volt bulb, should have said a lower wattage bulb, it’s been a long day!

1 hour ago, Jonah said:

Have you inspected all the bulbs? The size of the gauge and the condition of the paint inside it do make a difference, but if most of your gauges haven't had their bulbs replaced recently they're probably quite badly "silvered" (from evaporated filament metal) and won't be putting out nearly as much light as they're meant to.

4 hours ago, Jonah said:

Thank you, I didn’t realise that, the other bulbs are certainly old so I’ll change them

they’re all 2.2watt screw in type Lucas bulbs 

Replace with LEDs if tou want them brighter. If the the voltage gauge is new it might already have an LED built in