Drive shaft compatibility

cliff.b

Just wondering if complete late GT6 (swing spring) drive shafts, trunnion, hub, brake assemblies would fit a 1500 Spitfire?

I believe  the brakes are self adjusting but are they uprated in any other way compared to the Spit rear brakes?

The rear brakes of the sixes were always bigger in diameter than the Spitfire/Herald variant and I believe that was the same right through production of all models with the GT6 self adjusting type being wider as well. Theres nothing preventing swops between cars but you risk having a braking mismatch...  

7 minutes ago, johny said:

The rear brakes of the sixes were always bigger in diameter than the Spitfire/Herald variant and I believe that was the same right through production of all models with the GT6 self adjusting type being wider as well. Theres nothing preventing swops between cars but you risk having a braking mismatch...  

Ok. As far as you know, are the other parts of the driveshaft assy the same.

Just I have a possibility of getting my hands on a pair at a very reasonable price. 

Yes the diff couplings are the same as are the shaft lengths. However believe the bigger self adjusting slaves are very difficult to find new so if damaged beyond repairing with an overhaul kit there could be a problem because with any other slave I dont know how you can adjust the shoes....

3 minutes ago, johny said:

Yes the diff couplings are the same as are the shaft lengths. However believe the bigger self adjusting slaves are very difficult to find new so if damaged beyond repairing with an overhaul kit there could be a problem because with any other slave I dont know how you can adjust the shoes....

So even if I didn't fit them, the parts, if ok, may be of use to others?

1 hour ago, johny said:

Yes, the bigger self adjusting slave cylinders are quite sought after as also used on other makes of cars of the period...

Ok, thanks. Do you know the diameter of these later cylinders?

Would it be 7/8"

14 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

why not just swap the back plates    but make sure you keep NS and OS as taken off shafts do form a torsional memory and dont like being unwound they fracture 

Pete

Yes, that's a possibility, although I would need to borrow a hub puller again to do that, I think. 

Anyway, I haven't got them, yet.

1 hour ago, cliff.b said:

Ok, thanks. Do you know the diameter of these later cylinders?

Would it be 7/8"

yes theyre 7/8" instead of the usual 3/4" while the shoes are 1.5" wide rather than 1.25". However if youre going to swop the backplates and not use the bigger brakes why not just get standard 1500 Spitfire drive shafts which are a lot easier to find?

35 minutes ago, johny said:

yes theyre 7/8" instead of the usual 3/4" while the shoes are 1.5" wide rather than 1.25". However if youre going to swop the backplates and not use the bigger brakes why not just get standard 1500 Spitfire drive shafts which are a lot easier to find?

If I get these the main attraction would be the better brakes which I was thinking might balance Mintex pads at the front. Although to be honest, I am probably trying to give myself an excuse to buy them lol. 

I think the biggest brake improvement you could do is fitting the 2L front brakes. Then if you want to match them, as Pete said, change the rear backplates, shoes and drums to the earlier 2L type which, although slightly smaller, would avoid the problematic auto adjusters and scarce slave cylinders.

Of course after all that the master cylinder might need upgrading as the pedal travel could be excessive....  

55 minutes ago, johny said:

I think the biggest brake improvement you could do is fitting the 2L front brakes. Then if you want to match them, as Pete said, change the rear backplates, shoes and drums to the earlier 2L type which, although slightly smaller, would avoid the problematic auto adjusters and scarce slave cylinders.

Of course after all that the master cylinder might need upgrading as the pedal travel could be excessive....  

Yes, a potential can of worms 🙄