original round post battery connections mod

johny

If you still have these dont chuck them out as I have just successfully modified mine with these:

image.png.b5c38f22f5e33a34c9e831535a115e7a.png

I was fed up having to drill holes in new battery posts and then struggling to get the screws tight enough to clamp the lead cable terminals down so Ive slit each one down one side with a hacksaw and fitted these clips to clamp up like the more modern type - works a treat...

Sorry johny but I have no idea what you are referring to

I have these type battery post connectors, cables are compression crimped into lugs then bolted on using the wingnuts, makes disconnection quick and easy

61BT14H-N1.jpg?20200711030340

Looks like yours have been modernised as these are the original terminal connectors which I still have. They use a screw in the top directly into the battery posts which is a pain but as I say mine are now modified to clamp which is a great improvement😊 

image.png.df8228b7e2421a066b61ef979d3eff8f.png

Johny, you would be better off using those that Ahebron has shown. The wire hose clips are strong mechanically but will not withstand cranking current of 200 amps for very long. Steel is not a wonderful conductor and just vapourises when it fails.

What you have shown has just four pieces of wire carrying current to the bolt. This wire is about 30 amps max per strand, so ok up to 120 amps.

The original Cup type are notorious for working loose and corroding due to arcing. Ditch them.

No its alright Ive still got the original lead cups shown in the picture and they transmit the current as they always have but instead of relying on the top screw to hold them tight to the battery posts Ive used the wire hose clips to clamp on the outside of the said cups which gives them a much tighter bond to the posts.

I'll put a photo up if anyones interested but as Ahebron said most of the originals like this have long gone. However, within reason, I just like to keep as much of the old stuff as possible🙂

3 hours ago, johny said:

No its alright Ive still got the original lead cups shown in the picture and they transmit the current as they always have but instead of relying on the top screw to hold them tight to the battery posts Ive used the wire hose clips to clamp on the outside of the said cups which gives them a much tighter bond to the posts.

I'll put a photo up if anyones interested but as Ahebron said most of the originals like this have long gone. However, within reason, I just like to keep as much of the old stuff as possible🙂

That should be fine Johny. In fact, quite a good mod.