Fitting the Fasteners for a Tonneau cover

John L

So the good weather has finally arrived 🤔; so I have removed the hard top on my Spitfire mk4, purchased a tonneau from Rimmers together with 

TONNEAU BRACKET & PEG OUTER (SINGLE) x4, together with 4 separate pegs 617296, for securing the tonneau to the top of the dash but how do I fit the pegs ?

Does it mean removing the dash top, drilling and refitting ?

Any clues much appreciated

Thanks

John

Hi John.

On my Spit 1500 they were already attached to the vent caps. But I do remember removing the caps 20 years ago for repaint. You can get to the nuts under the dash that hold the vents although not easy. There's no drilling required because the pegs should attach to small swivel plates and the plates are attached between the vent capping and dash using the same fixing as the capping. These plates allow the pegs to move to line up with the holes in the tonneau. 

Danny

15 hours ago, John L said:

So the good weather has finally arrived 🤔; so I have removed the hard top on my Spitfire mk4, purchased a tonneau from Rimmers together with 

TONNEAU BRACKET & PEG OUTER (SINGLE) x4, together with 4 separate pegs 617296, for securing the tonneau to the top of the dash but how do I fit the pegs ?

Does it mean removing the dash top, drilling and refitting ?

Any clues much appreciated

Thanks

John

I think the pegs use existing holes; on the Herald / Vitesse they use plates, either single or double-pegged and these just fit into the holes for the vents or the screen surrounds. I'd hope that the Spitfire is the same, just using the existing screws and fittings rather than requiring any other drilling. I remember some cars having a line of fasteners along the tops of the doors, which I suspect might require holes being drilled. 

Danny, Colin and Josef, many thanks for the feedback, the photo also very useful, seems obvious now!

Yes the tonneau from Rimmers has fasteners along the top of the doors but I may just do without fitting poppers there, I think the dash top will suffice. 

Thanks again.