D type O/D solenoid.

Hi Guys, Working on the final million jobs to do on my mk3 Spitfire before I can use it again.

The o/d solenoid seems very stiff and the brass lever seems to catch on the thread of the pull-on pull-off piston. Also when I turn it off it does not fully go back to its original position. Does the o/d oil pressure force it back when being switched off.

Cheers Brett

No assistance from oil pressure when the solenoid is de-energised, there must be a spring in the solenoid that pushes its plunger back out although this isnt shown in the manual. Be careful that its operating correctly as when fully operated the current the solenoid draws should drop to 2A from the initial 20A and if this doesnt happen the coil will quickly burn out....

I have an ammeter  wired in the solenoid operating system which shows about 2A when switched on. It never goes to to 20A at all. Cannot get a 3/16 in drill in to set it up though so will try something a little smaller on Sunday. The whole solenoid movement is definately not smooth though.

its not uncommon for the solenoid armature/ plunger to get corroded and sticking 

there is a solid state switch in the end that cuts the current when its fully travelled  and it doesnt have to move much

i would remove the sol and clean it up , you cant service the switch very early ones were accessible but often a mend it  to destruction

as jonny say there is no crossover of hydraulics to  the sol. 

the 3/16 drill alignment just set the lever up to ensure the HYD valve is lifted 

worth a check take off the top cap nut  remove the ball and spring and withdraw the needle  it has a tiny hole down its middle which can get blocked 

Pete