Mk2 Vitesse wheel dilemma

I currently have standard steel wheels with Rostyle trims fitted.

Two have a hole in the centre - which I believe could be 2.5 PI ones?

Are the Gt6 Rostyles the same as the Vitesse ones?

It seems like the front two want to depart company with the wheels so can anyone suggest what options I have?

Does anyone have any trims or wheels for sale?

Thank you.

Pete

Sounds like you 2 x have early 2000 trims. Same 13" diameter I believe. I had the same problem years ago,after finding some 2000 trims in a scrapyard that were much better nick. One ended up overtaking me down the road bounced into a long grass meadow. It's still there somewhere, gave up searching after 2 hrs! The issue is the steel rim on the back. It's slightly different shape for the 2000 wheel  so it does'nt grip properly. It might be possible to drill the rivets out and swap the proper Vit trim clip ring over?

I ended up fitting Spitfire wheels and trims.

Just now, trigolf said:

Sounds like you 2 x have early 2000 trims. Same 13" diameter I believe. I had the same problem years ago,after finding some 2000 trims in a scrapyard that were much better nick. One ended up overtaking me down the road bounced into a long grass meadow. It's still there somewhere, gave up searching after 2 hrs! The issue is the steel rim on the back. It's slightly different shape for the 2000 wheel  so it does'nt grip properly. It might be possible to drill the rivets out and swap the proper Vit trim clip ring over?

Forgot to say- GT6 original Rostyle trims exactly the same.

4 hours ago, trigolf said:

Thanks Trigolf, that’s good information. I’ve also read your post about gt6 ones being the same. That helps me to open my search for replacements 👍

There are at least 6 different types of the Ro-style type Trims that I know of, possibly a couple more too?

1. TR5/Early TR6 (To suit 15" Rims)

2. Early 2.5PI (For 13" rims with an hole in the Middle for the Leyland Logo badge to bolt on)

3. Late 2.5PI (As above but different fixing ring)

4. Vitesse/GT6 Mk2 (No hole and a deeper fixing ring around 1")

5. Early Stag to suit 14" Rims (Hole in the centre, satin black painted and a slotted Hole for the Tyre Valve)

6. Later Stag to suit 14" Rims (Hole in the Centre, silver grey painted and a slotted hole for the Tyre Valve)

You can fit one type of alternative trim (Early 2.5PI I think) to the Vitesse wheel but it will be tight up against the tyre and may fly off with spirited cornering

I fitted some of the PI trims to my Vitesse but made up a Top Hat type bracket fixed under two wheel nuts and then used the Hole in the centre for a 2BA Screw to hold them on

Gary  

Sunshine Rally Aug 07.jpg

Edited by Gary Flinn
  • Like 1

Hi Gary. As always, thank you for taking your time to give such a comprehensive answer. That’s been a great help 👍. That is a lovely looking Vitesse ! Pete. 

Edited by Puglet1
Additional comment.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Puglet1 said:

Hi Gary. As always, thank you for taking your time to give such a comprehensive answer. That’s been a great help 👍. That is a lovely looking Vitesse ! Pete. 

Pete

No problem, always happy to talk Vitesse🙂

That's a photo of my old Vitesse at the Leicester/Rutland area Sunshine Rally in August 2007.

You will be better off trying to find a couple of decent MK2 Vitesse/MK2 GT6 Ro-styles, but they are becoming increasingly rare in usable condition

Gary