Gt6 MK3 handling

I have not been happy with the handling of my GT6 for a while as it got a bit vague at motorway speeds. I was going to have a go last year but a snapped Achilles tendon put pay to that. However this winter and with advice from forum members. I set to, first I striped the front suspension and fitted better wish bones with blue poly bushes, I also noticed the rubber was starting to perish on the track rods and the anti role bar drop links, the track rod had no play but were replaced with greaseable ones and the drop links were replaced with the uprate double ball joint type. Next, as I had on the shelf a complete set of new vertical links genuine Stanpart trunnions and upper ball joints, they went along with new stub axles and wheel bearings. The Pirelli P3000 tyres were 14 years old and were not showing any signs of age but members here have recommended the Uniroyal rain expert 3's, so on went a set. The car is already fitted with uprated front springs, a rear leaf spring from Jigsaw Racing, and Gaz shocks, so no need to look at those. I also got a spitfire front spoiler and bolted that on. 

The first drive was promising with the front feeling nice and tight but  this did highlight the slight vagueness of the back of the car . So four wheel alignment went on the to do list. I have a couple of mechanic  mates who recommend the Old Forge Garage next to Rimmers who have all the laser alignment equipment. I spoke to them and booked it in, once they had measured their ramp to make sure my car would fit, it did just, as they usually work on Land Rover and Range Rover. The track of the GT6 is quite a bit narrower than those. After checking and adjustment, I picked it up and the rear is now as good as the front. The GT6 now handles as it should in my opinion. I think the biggest single improvement are the uprated drop links but its difficult to single out any one thing as all the changes were made at the same time.  I would just like to thank every one for there input over quite a while and yes the Uniroyal's are a great tyre for my driving style

Regards Keith

Edited by Keith Nock

Hi Keith, 

That's an interesting account. I have the Classic Driving Development uprated drop links on my GT6 and TR6. They are both also fitted with poly bushes. Can't explain why but the drop links seem to sharpen up turn in to bends, plus they won't wear out like modern rubber drop links. . 

Nigel

The tyres are 175/70/13 but i do have genuine MInilites which i got from the club shop a few years ago and they are either 5 1/2  or 6 J. Hi Nigel yes i think my drop links are the Classic driving development ones as well

Regards keith

Hi John

they shimmed back radius arms and removed the shims on the front wish bones which as far as i know were factory fitted They didn't give me a printout but set up camber  and tracking etc. according to the spitfire 1500 workshop manual I gave them as mine is a late non roto flex 

Regards keith

Edited by Keith Nock
spelling mistake