GT6 Flywheel Fitment

Kevin Atkins

Hello all,

As part of the ongoing work on my GT6, with gearbox / drivetrain replacement, I decided to replace the crankshaft rear oil seal, whilst it's all apart. I'm glad I did - it was all very wet down there once I'd removed the flywheel and engine rear plate.. so that in combination with a leak from the rocker box and the old gearbox front seal must have been the cause of the fairly significant dripping from under the car when parked after a run...

Anyway, I've put it all back together and just want to confirm correct torque setting for the flywheel bolts. The Haynes manual mentions lock tabs but there were none fitted to mine, and the torque wrench setting advised was 42 - 46 Ft. Lbs for the bolts.. I've torqued to 44 Ft Lbs, and used thread lock, but it didn't seem particularly tight so just wanted to confirm it's the correct setting if there are no lock tabs fitted? Many thanks!

The lock tabs are no longer used and probably almost impossible to find; when I did my Mk1 GT6 engine all they could supply were bolts. I think I remember from the time they're a taper fit and an alternative to the earlier method? Could be wrong... but I know early ones are 3/8 and later 7/16; when you say loose did you mean the flywheel moved or the bolts just felt insecurely tightened to the crank?

42 - 46 is what the manual says for the MK1 and 2, but a wide variation of 50 - 75 for the MK3 GT6. 

Thanks for the clarification Colin.When I tightened yesterday, I had the flywheel locked so it didn't move, but I didn't feel that the tightness I'd done the bolts up to seemed like enough. I'll reset the bolts and tighten to the higher torque figure you mention above. Thanks!

I've had flywheels on and off 6 cylinder Triumphs quite a few times. I've always torqued the 3/8 UNF bolts to 42-46 lb ft, as per the workshop manual and used thread locking compound. I've never had a problem with these bolts loosening.

Nigel