Spitfire upper wishbone arms - replacement

You'll need to remove the front spring and shocker assemblies anyway as the bolts for the top wishbones are pushed through the turret from the inside out, and have to be slid inwards to remove them, so unless the spring etc is out of the way there's nowhere for them to go. No other way!

Not if I don’t have to Johny but I can see pos problems with removal of the spring-side bolts and getting them back in again. I hadn’t thought of that aspect that Colin mentioned. These wishbone arms are very corroded so I should replace them. I had to renew the springs last year and those spring compressors I have made the job extremely difficult. I will have buy a new tool.

Having looked at the top bolts attaching the wishbones I think the spring will have to come out as there is not enough space to withdraw the bolt - the nut is on the outside, not the inside. If the nut was on the inside that would be possible but not in this case.

On 23/06/2023 at 19:36, Colin Lindsay said:

You'll need to remove the front spring and shocker assemblies anyway as the bolts for the top wishbones are pushed through the turret from the inside out, and have to be slid inwards to remove them, so unless the spring etc is out of the way there's nowhere for them to go. No other way!

You’re correct!