Triumph herald gearbox interchangable parts for vitesse

Martin mon

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advise on gearbox interchangable parts. I have three herald non-overdrive gearboxes GB with one in parts which I don't need anymore. My vitesse MK2 factory original overdrive gearbox has an oil leak and slowly starting to sound like a bag of marbles even when the oil seals are doing their job 😂 Top gear selector kit is needed which I suspect is the majority of the noise. However as I will have to do the seals is there any parts in the herald boxes which would be a better option than repro when I take it out? I am thinking maybe 4th synchro rings in herald box to do vitesse 1 &2nd if they are worn?

Thanks in advance for the sound advise everyone 

Martin

I think they are 3 synchro boxes (the main case is externally different) so its quite a mish mash of parts and from memory:

synchro rings the same, none of the gears the same including the laygear and input shaft, layshaft different, mainshaft different, main bearings same, mainshaft tip bearing same. Then there might be various bushes, thrust washers and spacers that are shared...

As you say the most useful could be the 4th gear synchros which would need close inspection and testing on your Vitesse cones👍

I think youll find Dave that the early 3 synchro used bronze bushes in the laygear so the layshaft has a scroll machined along it to drag in oil. For the higher power uses the later gearbox had to contend with these were uprated to needle roller bearings and the layshaft was smooth. As an aside, I believe some people have tried (with variable success) to go back to the original set up as a way of reusing worn laygears....

20 hours ago, johny said:

Its strange, seems 148409 rings fit all 3 synchro boxes for 4 and 6 cylinder gearboxes plus the 4 synchro units for all Vitesse and GT6 (except mk3)...

Guess that makes sense as the 6 cylinders got full synchro earlier. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems I have no need for these now with the lack of interchangable parts so will put them on the TSSC parts for sale at a fair price. I am sure someone can make two decent boxes out the three and keep their herald on the road 👍

Edited by Martin mon