Oil pump drive spindle

wanjo

1 hour ago, wanjo said:

If your about clearance on the outer edge of the rotor casing, I have 0,02", on the shaft were just stains, as regards of the rest of engine haven't had time to check anything, has I said in my first post previous owner reconditioned engine, but hadn't put any oil in, that was 25yrs ago

Quoting the Workshop Manual   "Maximum clearance between outer rotor and pump body - 0.010"  ".   Ten thou.  You have twice as much.  Probably by being run without any oil in it.    The pump rotor and/or body has been worn away, causing friction, heat and wear, leaving black aluminium dust.   The shaft may have got even hotter as friction has raised the temperature to RED HEAT, causing typical discolouration!  The pump alone is useless, and may seize again while the weakened shaft snaps.   Dammit, you posted originally because the shaft was seized in the bush! n A disaster waiting to happen.

The oil pump is the canary in the mine, telling you that the engine has been badly misused, and needs a rebuild!  Main and big end bearings,  and bores may have suffered similarly.     It is doomed to early failure, unless you rebuild it.

If you're not happy to hear such advice, I'll understand and say no more!

John 

Edited by JohnD

If there's any doubt about the condition of the oil pump, replace it, your engine depends on it. I certainly wouldn't try using a pump that has seized them been freed off.

And I agree with John that the state of the oil pump calls the rest of the engine rebuild into question. While the sump is off to fit an oil pump, I would set least inspect the crank bearings, it's easy enough once the sump is removed.

Nigel

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Quoting the Workshop Manual   "Maximum clearance between outer rotor and pump body - 0.010"  ".   Ten thou.  You have twice as much.  Probably by being run without any oil in it.    The pump rotor and/or body has been worn away, causing friction, heat and wear, leaving black aluminium dust.   The shaft may have got even hotter as friction has raised the temperature to RED HEAT, causing typical discolouration!  The pump alone is useless, and may seize again while the weakened shaft snaps.   Dammit, you posted originally because the shaft was seized in the bush! n A disaster waiting to happen.

The oil pump is the canary in the mine, telling you that the engine has been badly misused, and needs a rebuild!  Main and big end bearings,  and bores may have suffered similarly.     It is doomed to early failure, unless you rebuild it.

If you're not happy to hear such advice, I'll understand and say no more!

John 

I will after wait a while, to get it over the pit, garage is full can't work on me back for to long, but will sort it, don't mine any advice, but this is my first spitfire need to learn alot, under pressure with house move aswell,but we will get there, wj

1 minute ago, wanjo said:

I will after wait a while, to get it over the pit, garage is full can't work on me back for to long, but will sort it, don't mine any advice, but this is my first spitfire need to learn alot, under pressure with house move aswell,but we will get there, wj

Come to think on it that paste stuff could of been aliminium filing and dried oil